Metropolis (1927)


First of all I'd like to recommend this review by Roger Ebert. I found it quite helpfull to find out a little bit more about this film.

link:  http://www.ebertfest.com/four/metropolis_silent_rev.htm

It was always harder to me to understand how special effects were created in old films before the era of computerization. A lot of them seem almost inexplicable because we'are all used to think of every special effect as 'created on the computer'.

My impression about this film was very positive. I personally like silent film as actors express themeselves through facial expression and body language and  this makes the viewer more focused on the action.

This is an image from the film. When I look at it I don't get a feeling that it is almost a century old. There is no huge difference between the vision of futuristic city between this film from 1927 and (for example) the 'Fifth Element' from 1997.

I really appreciate people who created this film as I think they gave a birth of a si-fi cinematography.