Cyborg project - rationale & self evaluation


Patryk Zarzycki

Cyborg- Rationale

For this assignment we had to produce an A3 photographic composition consisting of our own images or images found in the internet. The main theme of the project was a ‘Cyborg’ and we were supposed to present it from a utopian or dystopian viewpoint.  We were asked to consider all aspects of today’s technological development and all impacts that it has on people. The main aim of this module was to familiarize all students with popular programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom and also to have a look at current trends in image manipulation.
My initial idea for this project was to create a ‘Cyborg’ female as a symbol of today’s teenager absorbed by the world of computerization and the era of the internet. I decided to use my own photograph as I am not used to manipulate photographs of others. I can state that the manipulation process of this photograph had two main stages. First of all I strongly manipulated my photograph turning it into more ‘computer graphic-like’ image (e.g. smoothing skin, increasing contrast and tonal range , changing the ambient light to more controlled one-direction light using Photoshop tools such as ‘dodge & burn’ tool). Second stage of my manipulation process was a turning my model into a cyborg. To achieve it, I decided to use images from the Internet of car engines, electronic devices and ‘grunge’ textures. I built my ‘cyborg’ composition by pasting well considered elements in intentional parts of the body. I adapted all elements by changing their size, opacity, colours and tones. By applying masks on layers I had a full control of what I want to be visible in my composition.
The reason for my choice of the model was her attractiveness (presenting human aspiration to visual perfection) and also her body arrangement, especially her hands. When I first looked at this photograph, first thing I noticed were her hands and I knew that if I manipulate this images and turn it into a cyborg those hands will be a strong element in this composition. And I personally think that the black glove made with carbon texture and the blue ‘cyborg’ hand work pretty well.
In terms of interpretation my work presents an idea of Cyborg from dystopian point of view. The issue that I raised through my work is that computerization kills traditional ways of human activities and recreation and also leads to disappearance of interpersonal relationships and life values (e.g. disappearance of sentiments to physical objects (diaries, family albums), stronger confidence when chatting on facebook with mates and strangers).
By looking at my work we can see two cables sticking out from the models back. The first one (red) leads to slaved heart covered with steel. This portraits the fact that Internet, phones etc. became an inherent part of some people lives and technology is something they breathe in everyday. The second cable (green) looks like it has been broken for long time cutting of the connection with traditional aspects of life.
I am directing my final outcome mainly to young people as a reflective piece of work to show that life offers something more than what we see on screens of our computers. I don’t mean to present computer/technology as something completely bad but I just wanted to raise a problem of bad approach of those who sacrifice their lives for useless sitting behind the computer.